MISE EN PLACE
- Fire Spice | Burmese packet
- 1/4 C shallots, peeled, sliced
- 2 T garlic, peeled, sliced
- 1” ginger root, peeled, sliced, (approx. 2 T)
- 1 Thai or serrano chile, stemmed, sliced
- 30 fresh cilantro stems, roughly chopped
- 2 T Kosher salt
- 2 T water
- 5 T canola oil
- 1 T brown miso
- 1 T rice flour
- 1 qt vegetable stock (low sodium)
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, sliced thin
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1-15 oz can of chickpeas (no added salt), rinsed
- 1-8 oz can of bamboo shoots, julienned
- 1 1/2 lbs white fish, skinned and cut into 3” pieces (SeafoodWatch.org recommends Pacific cod or Pacific rock fish)
- 1 scallion, sliced thin
- 2 T fish sauce
- 2 T lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 lb of 1/16” wide rice noodles (cooked per package instructions)
Prep Time: 40 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Serves: 6 – 8
HOW – TO
- In a blender, puree Fire Spice | Burmese packet, shallots, garlic, ginger, chiles, cilantro stems,
1 T salt, water and 2 T oil into a paste.
- In a small bowl, combine the miso, rice flour and 1 C vegetable stock and whisk until smooth.
- Heat remaining oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat. Put onions and remaining salt into oil and cook for 5 min, stirring occasionally until tender.
- Turn heat down to medium, add blended paste and cook, stirring frequently until paste is fragrant and begins to stick, about 5 min.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 5 min. Add miso mixture, remaining stock, chickpeas and bamboo shoots.
- Bring to simmer, add fish and cover until fish is cooked through, about 8 min.
- Finish with scallions, fish sauce and lime juice.
- Serve in bowls over rice noodles and garnish with bean sprouts, sliced chiles, cilantro, Thai basil and lime wedges.
- Bean sprouts
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Thai or jalapeño chile, sliced
- Thai basil leaves, torn
- Lime wedges