MISE EN PLACE
- Fire Spice | Harissa packet
- 1 T Kosher salt
- 8 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on
- 2 T canola oil
- 1 1/2 C yellow onions, peeled, diced
- 1 T garlic, peeled, minced
- 3 T fresh jalapeño, stemmed, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, diced
- 1 C water
- 1 T sherry vinegar
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 50 min
HOW – TO
- Preheat oven to 425° F and reserve 1 T of Fire Spice | Harissa packet.
- Rub chicken thighs with 2 tsp of salt and remaining Fire Spice | Harissa packet.
- Place a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the canola oil, then add chicken, skin side down, and cook 2 min.
- Reduce heat to medium, and continue cooking until the skin is golden brown. Flip chicken thighs, cook another min and remove to a plate.
- Add the onions and remaining salt. Stir for 1 min.
- Add garlic, stir and cook for another 2 min, then add jalapeño and red peppers, stirring occasionally for 4 min.
- Add reserved contents of Fire Spice | Harissa packet and cook until fragrant, about 3 min.
- Add water, bring to a simmer and return chicken, skin side up to the skillet.
- Place skillet into the oven and bake for 30-40 min, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove chicken from the pan and keep warm on a serving platter.
- Add sherry vinegar to the pan and scrape mixture into the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Serve chicken with sauce and couscous or your favorite grain.