MISE EN PLACE
- 1/2 C ghee or unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 3 large yellow onions, peeled, diced
- 1/2 C garlic, peeled, minced
- 1/2 C fresh ginger root, peeled, minced
- 1/2 C jalapeños, stemmed, minced or 2 T serrano chile, stemmed, minced
- 1 1 /2 lbs ground lamb
- 3 T Kosher salt
- Fire Spice | Masala packet
- 1 qt tomato purée (32 oz)
- 2 1/2 C low sodium chicken stock or water
- 2 T granulated sugar
- 1 T lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 T fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 1 hr
Serves: 6 – 8
HOW – TO
- Heat ghee in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat for 1 min.
- Add onions and 1 T of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 5 min.
- Add ginger and garlic, stir to combine and cook for 2 min.
- Add jalapeño, lamb, and 1 T of salt and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 min.
- Lower heat to medium, add contents of Fire Spice | Masala packet, and cook until fragrant, about 5 min.
- Add tomato purée, and cook for 5 min more.
- Add the chicken stock, sugar and remaining salt. Cook until sauce begins to thicken, about 35 min.
- Add lemon juice and cilantro.
- Serve with your favorite white or brown basmati rice and garnish with extra chopped cilantro if desired.