MISE EN PLACE
- 1/4 C canola oil
- 2 lbs well-marbled beef chuck, cut into 1/4” cubes
- 2 T Kosher salt
- 1 C thick-sliced bacon, 1/8” dice
- 2 medium onions, peeled, diced
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, chopped
- Fire Spice | Chili packet
- 6 C fresh tomatoes, diced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 4 tsp fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 C water
Optional: Use masa harina to thicken (about 1⁄4 cup).
- Scallions, sliced
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Sour cream
- Avocado, diced
Prep Time: 50 min
Cook Time: 1 hr
Serves: 6 – 8
HOW – TO
- Heat a large, deep pot over high heat. Add 2 T of oil. When hot, add the beef, and season with 2 tsp of salt.
- Cook for 3 min, until browned on all surfaces (you may do this in batches).
- Remove beef to a plate or bowl and set aside. Reduce heat to medium-high and add remaining oil and bacon.
- Cook, stirring, until bacon renders fat and begins to crisp. Add onions and 2 tsp of salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, about 3 min. Add garlic and jalapeño. Stir to combine.
- Lower heat to medium and add Fire Spice | Chili packet.
- Stir until fragrant, about 3 min. Add tomatoes with their juices, chipotle peppers, sugar, oregano and remaining 2 tsp of salt.
- Cook for 8 min, stirring occasionally. Return beef to pot and add water.
- Gently simmer for about 45 min or until beef is tender.
- If further thickening is desired, sprinkle in masa harina, while stirring, and cook for an additional 5 min. Serve with the optional garnishes and your favorite cornbread.