MISE EN PLACE
- 1/4 C peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 C yellow onions, peeled, diced
- 1 T Kosher salt
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Thai chiles or 2 T jalapeño, stemmed, diced
- Fire Spice | Massaman packet
- 1 C fresh tomatoes, stemmed, diced
- 1 1/2 C water
- 1 C carrots, peeled, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 C sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 C russet potatoes, peeled, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 C peanuts, toasted, crushed
- 1 1/2 lbs large raw shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1 C coconut milk
- 1 T lime juice (approx. 1/2 lime)
- 1 T fish sauce
- 2 T cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
Prep Time: 40 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Serves: 4 – 6
HOW – TO
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and 1 tsp of salt. Stir to coat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 5 min.
- Add ginger and garlic, stir, and cook for 3 min.
- Add chiles and stir to combine.
- Lower heat to medium, add contents of Fire Spice | Massaman packet. Cook until fragrant, about 5 min.
- Add tomatoes and remaining 2 tsp salt and cook for 3 min.
- Add water, carrots, sweet and russet potatoes and peanuts, cooking until potatoes are almost tender, about 20 min.
- Add shrimp, stir, and cook for 3 min. Mix in the coconut milk, return to a simmer, and finish with lime juice and fish sauce.
- Garnish with cilantro and extra chopped peanuts if desired.
- Serve with jasmine rice or your favorite grain.