MISE EN PLACE
- Fire Spice | Phở packet
- 2 qt low sodium beef broth or stock
- 2 C water
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled, quartered
- 1/4 C fresh ginger root, unpeeled, rinsed, roughly chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
- 1/4 C fish sauce
- 2 T turbinado or light brown sugar
- 1 lb banh phở noodles (1/8” wide rice noodles, cooked per package directions)
- 1/2 lb sirloin steak or eye of round, thinly shaved across the grain
Tip: Freeze the beef for 30 min to make slicing easier.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Serves: 4 – 6
HOW – TO
- In a large pot, add beef broth, water, Fire Spice | Phở packet, onion, ginger, garlic, fish sauce and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for 30 min.
- Prep the garnish options and set aside or chill until ready to serve.
- Strain broth into a clean pot and keep hot while preparing bowls.
- To serve the phở, divide the noodles and raw beef into the bowls and ladle the hot broth over ingredients. Garnish as desired.
Note: Beef will cook in hot broth.
- Yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Fresh Thai basil leaves
- Bean sprouts
- Fresh jalapeño, stemmed, thinly sliced
- Fresh shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed, thinly sliced
- Lime wedges
- Sriracha hot sauce
- Hoisin sauce